Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tommy the Terrible

I’m a big Celtics fan. Always have been, always will be. I love watching them. As of now they have the best team in the league and quite possibly one of the best Celtics teams to ever take the floor. So why do I find them unbearable to watch on some nights? Tommy Heinsohn. Fortunately for me Tommy has started to travel less and it has opened up the way for Donnie Marshall to take over as the color commentator for many of the games alongside Mike Gorman who I think is an excellent announcer. However, Heinsohn still does do many of the games and what I used to find funny I now find nauseating. Heinsohn’s constant berating of the officials has got to stop. It’s foolish, and literally agonizing to listen to. While it can give many casual fans a good laugh, and even has given me a good laugh at times, he’s gotten even worse than ever and now it’s simply not funny……it’s childish. I can’t take it anymore. He needs to stop this nonsense. The essence of what Tommy Heinsohn says during the broadcast night in and night out is tantamount to saying that the NBA is a joke and that the games are fixed. He’s basically saying every official that does Boston games are against the Celtics and don’t have a clue as to what the rules are. He seems to be watching the games with one purpose only- to critique every move the officials make. The thing is, Tommy is wrong 99% of the time (even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while). The man is an idiot.
“That was a goal tend!!!”-replay show’s it clearly wasn’t.
“Their gonna call that a hard foul!!??”- ya Tommy, when it’s the 4th quarter and the teams are starting to turn the game in to a street fight the ref’s need to call the game a little tighter than they ordinarily would.
Tommy needs to shut his mouth and do his job and let the officials do theirs. Tommy is a well know “homer” and so his zeal for feeling that his team is always getting screwed is just a tad skewed. I say keep Tommy in the studio and don’t let him announce anymore, but if he must call a game than CALL THE GAME and stop hounding the officials. Let me watch my team in peace.

No comments: