Monday, January 5, 2009

It's Time To Let Sproles Shine

What I'm about to write I have been thinking ALL SEASON. As I watched the San Diego Chargers sputter, and trip, and crawl through the 2008 football season I kept wondering why in the world they prefer to hand the ball to an injured Ladanian Tomlinson as opposed to a healthy Darren Sproles. LT had a miserable season by his standards mostly in part because of the fact that he just was always hampered with some kind of nagging injury. For most of the year it was an injured right toe. It was obviously impacting his ability to cut in a very negative way. Video showed it pretty clear. Yet Darren Sproles still took a back seat in many games. I feel the Chargeres could of had 2 more wins if they had rested LT and just went with Sproles as their starter at some points during the year. Darren Sproles is simply dynamic! He always performs well when he's given the chance and he's one of the few NFL players that actually LOOKS fast on TV. He honestly appears to be 2 times faster than everyone else on the field. He'd be the hands down starting RB on several other NFL teams, and yet the Chargers are reluctant to start him over an injured LT?
I have to wonder whats going through the head of the Chargers coaches. Are they worried about an LT uproar? I'm no NFL scout but i have watched the Chargers this year on a few occasions and I see Sproles out perform LT on the few chances he gets. I think it's a blessing in disguise that LT tore a groin. I really do! I think the Chargers have a much better shot of going deeper in to the playoffs and possibly the Super Bowl with Sproles at RB. I think it will also make the games the Chargers play more enjoyable to watch. Every time Sproles touches the ball it's exciting to watch. I'm tired of watching a semi-washed up LT try to do what he once could but no longer can.
My prediction- if Sproles becomes the predominant RB in the Chargers backfield, the Chargers go to the Super Bowl.

No comments: