Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Peyton's Face

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Peyton Manning. I definitely respect him as a top quarterback. I feel he did deserve the MVP this year. And I also feel he is pretty good in the clutch unlike many other people. What I can't stand about him though is his sideline demeanor! I can't quite pinpoint how to describe it. He sits on the bench and looks like a mixture of a kid who wasn't picked to play and is sitting on the bleachers at school and a kid who just got caught by his mom for doing something wrong and is waiting for his dad to come home. It's just not the look of a leader and a team captain. It doesn't exude confidence. It exudes worry and anxiety and even sometimes a look of frustration with his teammates or his defense. If I didn't know any better I'd think he was in the holding room at a courthouse waiting for the deliberating jury to come back with a verdict. I don't like it. It's the one knock I have on Peyton. When your the star quarterback and possibly the best QB in the NFL you can't sit on the sidelines with looks of frustration and disgust because your defense is doing a bad job or because you might lose the game. You need be positive and have a confident look that tells your teammates and the fans watching that you know that if you get the ball the team is going to win. That's what has me so confused. Most of the time in crunch time Peyton delivers for his team. Many times this season when they looked like they were done and Peyton was on the sidelines with a sour look on his face he proceeded to come in and drive them to victory as if it was easy. So why the long face Peyton? Smile! Walk around and pump up the team! Stop sitting on the bench in crunch time looking like a spoiled brat. Your a great quarterback. Act like one!

No comments: