Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Guns N' Roses

I know this is a sports related blog, but I have to talk about something else today. This past Sunday, Guns N' Roses released their long awaited album Chinese Democracy. When I say long awaited, I'm not kidding. Axl Rose has been working on this album since 1994. After many different band members, false rumors, and delays, the album final made it to the public. Instead of Guns N' Roses, they should be called The Axl Rose Band since Axl is the only original member left. To focus on something like that takes away from the fact that Axl really did it. He really did come out with the album!

While listening to Chinese Democracy, one thing comes through; Axl still has the voice. A few years back, Axl was on some MTV Music Award show and he was terrible. He was in terrible shape and he was all out of breath before the song was over. But, when a buddy and I saw GNR in New York in 2006, Axl was back in shape and had his voice going again. Axl shows his sensitive side in Street of Dreams and his more natural side in Chinese Democracy. Axl also pulls out a piano piece for a song that I can't remember the title of.

I'm as pleased as I can possibly be with the release of this album. However, since Americans are people of want, I want to see Axl and the rest of the original members of GNR
do a reunion tour. If nothing else, do it for the money. My God, can you imagine the money those guys could pull in? If Van Halen can get back together, GNR can do it too. GNR will always be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven Adler (when clean) or Matt Sorum. No offense to Ron Thal, but GNR isn't about shredding.

All in all, the album is good. I wouldn't say it was worth waiting 14 years for, but considering that I didn't think this album was ever going to see the light of day, I'm glad it's here. If you were a GNR fan or a just a fan of rock music in general, I highly recommend buying the album.

No comments: