Monday, November 3, 2008

In Rex I want to Trust

With Kyle Orton possibly out for the next 4 weeks, the Bears put their hands in Rex Grossman, the unfairly maligned backup quarterback. He came in yesterday and led the Bears to a win over the hapless Detroit Lions, throwing for one touchdown and running in the game winning touchdown. And honestly, I'm happy for Rex. I don't think anyone on the Bears team has taken as much abuse as Rex has taken over the past 3 seasons and he's handled everything as a model professional. He didn't air out his feelings to the press, didn't skip practices, or sulk on the bench. Frankly, I think the fans have been much too harsh on him, but that's beside the point.

While I believe that Rex has the arm to make the passes, I question what's between his ears sometimes. I remember kicking a friends basement door when Rex threw that horrible interception in the Super Bowl that the Colts ran back for a touchdown. Or the way he holds the ball haphazardly when he gets sacked. If he ever learned that throwing the ball away is OK or to tuck the ball when getting sacked, Rex might become a more than serviceable quarterback. All the Bears need from Rex the next 4 weeks a minimal amount of mistakes. Hand the ball off to Matt Forte, make the easy passes, and don't do anything stupid.

The next four games for the Bears are against the Titans, Packers, Rams, and Vikings. If Rex can lead us to a 2-2 record, I'll be happy. Let's hope that Rex remembers that he's a quarterback and not a gunslinger.

No comments: